Legal Name Changes

To legally change your name you must submit an application to Vital Statistics. Come into Gold Key Registries and pick up the application. Fingerprints must also be submitted. If the person whose name is being changed is under 18, the fingerprint form does not have to be done.

The applicant must be:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • A resident of Alberta
  • Applying to change one or more of the following:
    • Their own name
    • Current spouse’s/adult interdependent partner’s name
    • Their child’s/ward’s name
  • Not applying to change:
    • A deceased person’s name
    • Their spouse’s/adult interdependent partner’s child’s name when the applicant is not the other parent, by birth or adoption, of the child or the applicant does not have custody/guardianship of the child.

Steps to obtain a Legal name change:

  1. Come to the Gold Key Registries office with personal identification and completed application form.
  2. Provide our staff with fingerprint form (if required) and any supporting documentation. Supporting documents may include:
    • Proof of legal name/proof of birth
    • Proof of marriage
    • Proof of divorce
    • Proof of annulled marriage
    • Proof of death of a spouse/partner/parent
    • Proof of custody
    • Proof of guardianship
    • Court order dispensing with consent
  3. Review sample name change certificate.

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your certificate

Once your certificate has arrived we will contact you. Please pick up your certificate at our Gold Key Registries office. Before doing so, you must provide identification so that we can verify your identity.