Alberta Customized License Plates

Are you a veteran, or looking for a great gift idea? Try an Alberta personalized plate. Not sure what to bring?

Contact Us

Veteran's Plates

Are you a veteran?
To honour those that have served our country, there is a special series of veteran’s licence plates available. Find out if you are eligible.

Learn More

Personalized Plates

Visit our office to find out more.

Find out if the personalized plate you want is available.

Learn More

Antique Plates

Is your antique vehicle in a car show or parade?
Find out if your vehicle qualifies for an antique plate, and how to get one.

Learn More

Trailer Plates

Bought a new trailer?

Click here to find out information about trailer registration.

Learn More

Plate Transfers

Have you acquired a new vehicle, and want to use an existing plate?

Click here for information on how to transfer your plate, and what you need to bring.

Learn More

Veteran’s Plates

To honor Veterans, the province of Alberta has introduced a veterans’ licence plate.

Veteran’s licence plates can be used on any vehicle with passenger class registration. This includes vehicles such as passenger cars, SUVs, station wagons, minivans, motor homes and light trucks.

Veteran’s licence plates cannot be used on the following:

  • Vehicles with commercial class registration
  • Trailers
  • Motorcycles / Off-highway vehicles

Contact the Royal Canadian Legion

To honor those that have served our country, there is a special series of veteran’s licence plates available. Check Your Eligibility & Apply Now! (Download) Veteran’s Licence Plate Application Form:


Who is eligible?

Eligibility shall be determined by:

  • The Royal Canadian Legion
  • Alberta -NWT Command-Veterans’ Plate

Veteran’s licence plates are available to an Alberta resident who has been Honorably Discharged after serving:

  1. In World War 1, World War 2, the Korean War, or the Gulf War as a member of:
    • The Canadian Forces
    • An Allied Force
    • The Canadian or allied Merchant Navy, or
    • The Ferry Command
  2. As a member of the Canadian Forced meeting the National Defense Professional Classification requirements (MOC qualified).
  3. In United Nations or NATO Operations as a member of:
    • The Canadian Forces
    • The Royal Canadian Mounted Police
    • Other Canadian police forces, or
    • An Allied Force

How to apply?

Eligible Veterans must apply as follows:

  1. Obtain and complete an Application for a Veteran’s Licence Plate form.
  2. Attach a photocopy of the following documentation to the application form.

For Veteran’s:

  • Canadian Forces Discharge Certificate
  • Canadian Forces Certificate of Service (Both Sides)
  • Allied Forces Discharge Certificate or Certificate of Service, or
  • Canadian or Allied Merchant Navy Service Record Book

For RCMP / other Canadian police forces:

  • A letter from the RCMP Commanding Officer certifying the applicant’s service in a United Nations or NATO Operation
  • Submit the original completed application form, a self-addressed stamped envelope and a money order or cheque for $5.00 to:
    Alberta NWT Command-Veteran’s Plate
    2020 15 Street N.W.
    Calgary , AB T2M 3N8
  • The $5.00 application fee is required to cover the administrative costs associated with processing the application.

Please do not send cash

  • The Alberta – NWT command will mail the approved application back to eligible Veterans within three weeks.
  • To be issued a Veterans’ licence plate, the applicant must present the original approved application form to a registry agent office. Normal requirements with respect to the issuing of licence plates (certification of valid insurance, proof of ownership, personal identification) will apply. Please remember to retain your original approved application form for future use.


Normal registration fees will apply for first time vehicle registrations and renewals.
Veterans’ licence plates can be personalized, however normal fees will apply.
If a veterans’ licence plate is lost or stolen, the normal replacement fees will apply.

Other Considerations:

  1. If a vehicle has more than one owner or lessee, at least one of the owners or lessees must be eligible for a veterans’ licence plate.
  2. Veterans are eligible to receive veterans’ licence plates for all passenger class vehicles registered in their name.
  3. Only individuals may apply for a veterans’ licence plate. Organizations are not eligible.
  4. If there is an existing personalized licence plate on the Alberta motor vehicle system, then that configuration cannot be reused. A personalized veterans’ licence plate shall have a maximum of five characters.

Personalized Plates

Personalized plates takes 4 – 6 weeks at the time of purchasing for a personalized plate to arrive.

Some rules regarding personalized plates:

  1. Personalized Plates cannot contain any vulgar terms
  2. Personalized Plates cannot follow the regular licence plate format (ex. AAA-999)
  3. Personalized Plates can only contain 7 characters
  4. You cannot order a Personalized Plate that has already been taken

Please use the form above to check the availability of the plate you wish to purchase. Our friendly staff will confirm to see if that
plate has been taken or not and will respond within one business day.

Ensure a smooth registration process – contact GoldKey Registry at 403-934-2375 to discuss your commercial vehicle registration needs today!

Antique Plates

Antique Plates have restricted use classic vehicles that can be used for car shows and parades. If you wish to drive your vehicle unrestricted on public roads, regular registration is required.

Some Requirements:

  1. Vehicle must be 25 years of age or older to be classified as an antique
  2. Under the Antique registration, the vehicle can only be driven in shows and parades.
  3. If you have an existing plate from the year or close to the year your antique vehicle was made, it is possible to have it associated with the Antique plate.

Steps in obtaining an Antique Plate:

  1. Bring proof of ownership and insurance and personal identification to the Gold Key Registries office.
  2. Our friendly staff will provide you with an antique licence Plate.

Call Us Today at 403-934-2375. (Our friendly staff can answer any questions you have about the process.)

Trailer Plates

If you have purchased a trailer and wish to get it registered you must provide the following:

  1. Proof of identity
  2. Bill of sale (Bill of sale must have serial number of trailer)

Please note:

  1. Insurance is not requried to register a trailer.
  2. If you decide to sell your trailer you should retain the licence plate upon sale.

The fee for trailers is a one time fee and does not require renewal.

Have Questions About Trailer Registration? Contact Us for more info

Plate Transfers

In the event that you have obtained a vehicle and wish to exchange a current plate you can do as such at the Gold Key Registries office.

Our friendly staff can assist you. To help speed up the process please provide the following when you come visit.

Documents that you must submit:

  1. Bill of sale or lease agreement
  2. Proof of identity
  3. Insurance

Your name must appear on all 3 of these documents. Due to government regulations we will be unable to complete your transfer without all 3 of these documents. If you have recently traded in a vehicle, and wish to transfer your registration from your traded vehicle to the new one, you may use the registration from the traded vehicle provided you have valid insurance on the new vehicle for up to 14 days. After this period you must change your registration.

Please Note:

If two people are on the bill of sale or lease agreement and only one person is able to be present at the time of registration;
an authorization form is available for the person(s) who are not present to give consent to the person(s) that are present permission to register the vehicle on their behalf.

Contact Us Today to Learn More!

Contact Us

Other Vehicle Services We Provide

Alberta Registration Renewal

Renew your vehicle registration conveniently online or in-person at our offices.

Vehicle Information Report

Our vehicle information report provides a comprehensive history of any registered vehicle in Alberta, including collision and insurance information.

New Vehicle Registrations

If you have just purchased a vehicle, we can help you get it registered and on the road in no time.

Out-of-Province Registration

If you have moved to Alberta from another province, we can help you register your vehicle in your new home.

Disabled Placards

If you have a disability, we can assist you in getting a disabled placard that allows you to park in designated spots.

Commercial Vehicle Plates Strathmore

We can assist you in obtaining and renewing commercial plates for your business vehicles.

In-transit Permits

If you need to transport a vehicle that is unregistered or uninsured, we can help you obtain an in-transit permit.

Need Help with Additional Services in Chestermere or Strathmore?

Here at GoldKey Registry, we offer a variety of services beyond license plates. If you’re located in Chestermere or Strathmore, we can assist you with:

Commercial Vehicle Plates Chestermere : Streamline your business operations with efficient commercial vehicle registration services.

Corporate Registration (Strathmore): Establish your business presence in Strathmore with our comprehensive corporate registration services.

Corporate Registration (Chestermere): Get Your Chestermere Business Up and Running with Our Registration Services