There are three stages that each person must go through to obtain a Class 5 licence. These stages are otherwise called the Graduated Driver License Program (GDL). This system will guarantee that new drivers get the support, abilities and experience they need to handle the complex task of driving.
Stage 1 – Learner or Class 7
Class 7 Requirements
- Applicant must be at least 14 years of age
- Have parental consent if the applicant is under the age of 18
A parental consent form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. This form must be signed in our office.
Steps to Obtaining Your Class 7
- To start the process of obtaining your Class 7 drivers licence you must first take the written examination. Come into our office with your 2 pieces of eligible identification to take a 30 multiple choice question examination.
If you wish to come in to write an exam, please ensure that you arrive no later than 30 minutes before we close.
- The applicant must pass an eye examination administered by our friendly staff.
After you have passed your written learners examination, you can obtain a Class 7 licence card.
Learners Licence Holder Conditions
- Must hold a Learners licence (Class 7) for at least one year. Must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver that is not a probationary driver who is 18 years of age or older and is seated next to the driver.
- Learners are not permitted to drive from midnight to 5 A.M.
- Not permitted to have more passengers than seat belts.
- Only 8 demerit points are allowed for learners drivers.
- Have a zero alcohol level.
If learning to drive a motorcycle, you must be 16 years of age and are not permitted to drive during night time hours. You must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver who is 18 years of age or older and is either seated on the motorcycle with you, or is following you in another motor vehicle.
Stage 2 – Probationary Class 5
After holding your learners licence for at least a year, you are now ready to obtain your a Probationary Class 5 licence.
Steps in Obtaining Your Class 5 Probationary Licence
- Road testing. By now you should be ready to take Part 1 of the road testing examination. We can provide a road testing permit and also book an examination at the same time.
You can book your Alberta Road Test online here.
Rental vehicles are now also available.
- Now that you have completed your Class 7 learner’s card, and passed your 5 basic GDL road test, you are ready to re-class your licence to a Probationary Class 5.
Come into our Strathmore Registration office with all the documents mentioned above and our friendly staff can assist you.
Stage 3 – Non-Probationary Class 5
Steps in Obtaining Your Class 5 Non-Probationary Licence
To become a fully licenced driver you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have completed 24 months of probationary driving.
- Be suspension and demerit free for at least 12 months.
Note: Drivers may be eligible to reduce their 24-month probationary period by up to 6 months by completing a Class 5 or Class 6 drivers training program from a driver training School licenced by Transportation and Economic Corridors.
We can provide a road testing permit and also book an examination at the same time.
You can book your Alberta Road Test online.
You are now ready to re-class your licence to a Non-Probationary Class 5 and can have your GDL licence replaced with a full Class 5 driver’s licence.
Come into our Gold Key Registries office with all the documents mentioned above and our friendly staff will assist you.